Initial membership is as an Associate Member (the only prerequisite to joining is a full motorcycle licence). Full Member status is attained when you pass the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) test, i.e. you achieve the main aim of the Club's foundation.
By joining the Club you are also signing on for a course of preparation under the IAM's "Skill for Life" package, which starts with the "Introduction To Advanced Motorcycling", or ITAM. You are undertaking a commitment which is ultimately for your own good. You will be expected to make every effort to become a Full Member, and every assistance and encouragement is offered to enable you to achieve this.
It doesn't matter what you ride or how old you are, we welcome all biking enthusiasts.It's easy to join us - just follow one of the following options:-
- Come along to a club night and ask for the Membership Secretary.
- Contact the Membership Secretary direct by email.
- Enrol in the "Skill for Life" package on-line at the IAM website but please quote "Group Number 2206" when asked for your preferred club details.
- Visit any IAM stand at events such as the BMF Show.
For further information on gaining your Advanced Motorcyclist qualification follow the "The Advanced Rider" link from the main menu.
How Much Does It Cost?
The full IAM "Skill for Life" package provides everything that the potential Advanced Motorcyclist will need to achieve his or her goal. The package provides:-
- EKAM associate membership (six months minimum)
- IAM associate membership, with an automatic upgrade to full membership of the IAM (upon passing the Advanced Test within 12 months)
- The IAM test fee
- The "How to be a Better Rider" book
- "Advanced Driving" the IAM tri-annual magazine
- The half-day "Introduction to Advanced Motorcycling" classroom session
- A half-day "Slow Riding Control Skills Course"
Currently just £149
The only other cost is a contribution for each Observed Ride to cover the Observer's expenses, payable to the Observer on the day. The Observers give their time and experience freely.
Renewing your EKAM Membership
Membership should be renewed annually by 1st March. Members who have not renewed by 1st May will be removed from the membership list. Associate members who do not renew will not be able to continue their observed rides or take part in club rides out. Reminders are posted in the club magazine.
A membership renewal form can be downloaded here.
The Standing Order form for full members setting up a Standing Order for the first time can be downloaded here.
Observers: Please note that your IAM membership must also be renewed annually if you wish to continue as an Observer. This also applies to Observers under training.